Compilation of all walks credited to:
Steve Bolton, Linda Dane, Peter Davies, David Johnston, Judy Klinkenberg and Alan Scaife - January 2014
There are two walks, both starting from Church Street; both have good views of the River Avon.
In AD 781 Offa, King of Mercia, granted land in Hampton (meaning land by the river) to the Bishop of Worcester. Until 1549 the parish was known as Bishop’s Hampton, or sometimes Hampton Episcopi. There was a ford by Avonford Cottage and the water mill was first mentioned in 1086. The first church was built in the 13th century but by 1480 the village was enclosed and many villagers driven out.
The Bishop of Worcester sold the manor in 1549 to John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, but in 1555, during the reign of Mary Tudor, he was executed as a protestant. In 1557 Queen Mary granted the lease to Thomas Lucy of Charlecote and the village became known as Hampton Lucy.
During the 2nd World War, a fully laden bomber crashed into Scar Bank creating a large explosion which blew out most of the church windows. The glass fragments were carefully collected by hand, and after the war, the windows were re-built.
Scar Bank Wildlife
You will probably see Canada geese, maybe a heron or two, coots, and if you are very lucky, the blue streak of a kingfisher. Look out also for buzzards overhead.
Shakespeare’s Avon Way
A long distance route follows the Avon from its source to the River Severn.
Two routes go from the old Warwick Road opposite the King’s Head, Wellesbourne into Charlecote.
Charlecote Park: a Tudor mansion that has been in the Lucy family for 900 years - built in Tudor times, but extensively modified in early Victorian times. There are about 200 fallow deer in the park and a flock of Jacob sheep.
St Leonard’s Church: built in 1851. Mary Elizabeth Lucy had the old Norman church knocked down and rebuilt in honour of her dead husband – George. The church contains the tombs of many of the Lucy family.
Tumbledown stile: look out for this unusual design. It is to be found at the entrance to the footpath between the two garden centres.
This can be walked either as a single loop or both together to form a figure of eight.
Ashorne and the Holloway
Dating from the mid 14th century and originally belong¬ing to the manor of Newbold Pacey, Ashorne passed into the ownership of the Earls of Warwick in 1789. It is thought that marl used to build wattle & daub cottages, some of which still stand around the village green, was excavated from the Holloway. Before the building of the ‘new’ road, the Holloway was the main route from the village to Warwick. Some sources suggest that the track has been in use since Roman times.
The settlement was mentioned in the Domesday book and was granted by the Conqueror to one of his followers. The village was deliberately depopulated in 1327, demolishing homes and dispersing occupants to increase the pasturage and tillage of the manor to make it more profitable. Over the next few hundred years Newbold developed as an estate village. Local legend says that many inhabitants fled the plague in the 17th century, crossing Thelsford Brook (as it was believed that crossing water would give protection) and settling in Ashorne.
Ashorne Hill was built by American millionaire Arthur Tree in the 1890s. A farmhouse originally stood on the site and its front wall, built of blue bricks, was incorporated into the new building. A ha-ha was excavated to separate the 12 acres of gardens from the surrounding 70 acres of parkland. The soil from this was used to create the hillock which screens from sight the buildings of Ashorne House Farm.
After changing hands several times Ashorne Hill was sold to the British Iron and Steel Corporation in 1939 and has not been in private ownership since.
This can be walked either as a single loop or extended into a figure of eight. Park with consideration in Moreton Morrell Village. Most of the walks are on good roads and tracks, but there are some muddy sections on both loops and a few difficult stiles.
Moreton Morrell is an ancient settlement that is recorded in the Domesday Book as “Mortone”. From early Norman times it has comprised the ‘town’ of Moreton, and the hamlet of Morrell. A thatched cottage opposite the chapel, with 17th century timber-framing in the upper story, is believed to be the former home of the Randolph family, ancestors of one of the most famous presidents of the United States of America, Thomas Jefferson. His great grandfather was William Randolph, who was born in the village in 1650 and emigrated to Virginia in 1672. His granddaughter Jane married Peter Jefferson, and their son Thomas drew up the Declaration of Independence and became the third President of the United States.
This is a good walk during or after rain using all roads and tracks, avoiding muddy fields, with no stiles. It can be done with fields and 4 stiles when conditions permit. The length can be varied by cutting across from Walton Lane to Jubilee Drive at one of two points or continuing to Walton Hall.
Walton Hall: The current building was extensively altered in the 1860’s. It was originally the home of the Mordaunts, but has been a boarding school and a hotel and time share in more recent times.
Walton Schoolhouse, Walton Village
built in 1832 for the education of the village children
Previously known as the Baysford Mill and mentioned in the Doomsday book
Start and finish at the Touchdown Café at Wellesbourne airfield. The terrain has a variety of paved road, grass fields, fields with crops and field and road verges. The route is flat with hills only in Loxley village. There are nine stiles and various gates. Toilets, beverages and food, including breakfasts, are available in the café.
The village started in a clearing just south of the church at the bottom of the hill and was given by King Offa of Mercia to the Cathedral at Worcester around 760 AD and later passed to Kenilworth Abbey. The mediaeval village was abandoned at some stage and new houses were built higher up the hill.
In 1100 AD a generous man known as Robert Fitzodo is recorded as being the owner of the village ‘hence Robin of Loxley’, possibly the origin of the Robin Hood legend.
A large part of the village is a Special Landscape Area and the Church Meadow Nature Reserve, where traditional ridge and furrow strips can been seen, is a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest
Walks around Wellesbourne and surrounding villages